BlakTina Festival presented by
Latina Dance Theater Project And Bootleg Theater
Due Date: October 15, 2013 (Postmark Deadline)
Festival Participants Announced: October 25th, 2013
Submit Proposals to: BlakTina Festival c/o Latina Dance Theater Project 2159 Lyric Ave. LA, CA 90027
FESTIVAL DATES: December 12th, 13th and 14th, 2013 at Bootleg Theater
The BlakTina Festival is presented by Licia Perea and the Latina Dance Theater Project (LDTP) and the Bootleg Theater in a first ever festival featuring Latina (o) and Black choreographers based in Los Angeles! This exciting new festival will feature 6 – 7 choreographers of color, including work by the Latina Dance Theater Project. LDTP is excited to be partnering with the Bootleg for the premiere of this new festival of cutting edge work.
The Latina Dance Theater Project seeks applicants from Latina (o) and Black contemporary choreographers based in Los Angeles, drawing from a full range of styles and culturally based approaches that represent contemporary Black and Latina (o) dance in the world today.
• Choreographers who have produced and presented their own choreography in a non-student context.
• Applicants must be a resident of Los Angeles County, have lived in Los Angeles County for at least one year, and have produced choreographic work in Los Angeles County.
• Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
• Full-time students are not eligible
• Presentation – Artists are expected to present an original work no more than 12 minutes. The evening will be shared with approximately 6-7 choreographers.
Selected artists will receive the following:
• Marketing/PR will be provided by LDTP and Bootleg. The Festival will be marketed to the press, as well as in LDTP’s and Bootleg’s own publicity materials
• Tech Production support will be provided including lighting design, overall technical direction, and light and sound operators. Lighting, sound, masking, and sprung dance floor, as owned by Bootleg, will be provided. A reasonable attempt will be made to accommodate any special needs, subject to time and budget constraints.
• In house production support will be provided by LDTP and Bootleg staff.
The panel seeks a spectrum of dance styles and aesthetics, with particular interest in contemporary and innovative approaches. The panel will make decisions based on quality and innovation of the artist’s work and interest in the Festival.
Applicants must submit the following materials for consideration: Narrative materials (must be typed 12 point font):
1. Cover Page listing 1) the choreographers name, contact name if different, address, all phone numbers, and email address; 2) any unusual technical requirements you may have.
2. Describe the work you propose to present (title, choreographer (s), music and premier date) and describe its unique qualities and why you would like to be part of the BlakTina Festival.
3. Resume – one page
4. Work sample – Please submit your work sample on a DVD format. The work to be viewed must be at the beginning of the DVD, in a separate chapter, or the only work on the DVD. Include a work sample information sheet that indicates the title, performance dates, and your role in creating the work (no more than 1 page).
Please contact Licia Perea with any questions about these application guidelines.